Most people search for services and information online, and that will absolutely not change in 2023! A professional, reputable online digital presence is a key component of an effective marketing approach for all businesses, including law firms. Traditional sales and marketing methods such as word of mouth, billboards, and radio or television advertisements are not enough in today’s digital world. Search Engine Optimization (SEO) marketing is an integral component of a law firm’s successful marketing strategy in 2023 and beyond.
What is SEO?
Search Engine Optimization, or SEO, is used in many businesses, like healthcare, real estate, and the hospitality industry. It is a marketing strategy designed to improve and increase traffic to a business’s website. It is a valuable way for law firms to recruit new clients and, in turn, increase revenue. SEO starts with an established, professional website.
A website is necessary for a law firm in the 21st century. An online presence creates a credible reputation for any business. A website gives law firms the opportunity to display their experience, success, specialties, and client reviews.
Most people begin their search for a lawyer online, so an engaging website opens the door to potential clients, and a polished website may decide who they hire. A website also increases a firm’s search engine rankings which can help set you apart from other firms.
SEO – An Important Marketing Strategy for Law Firms
With over 1 million attorneys in the United States, SEO can set your firm apart from the competition. A law firm’s SEO is vital for the following reasons:
- Potential clients can find you with SEO. Most people use search engines to find lawyers, and most of those hire or make their decisions online. SEO allows your website to be found by those who need your specific expertise.
- Potential clients will find you more trustworthy if your firm is ranked high in searches. A higher search engine ranking adds credibility to your law firm. SEO is like an online record for your firm.
- You can showcase and highlight your firm’s success and specialties. SEO allows you to brag a bit about your firm and your accomplishments. Law firms can also post informative content that will bring traffic to your website.
- Your client base will grow. New clients are necessary for a firm to thrive. SEO establishes your firm’s carbon footprint. It will drive new clients to your website and increase your client base and revenue.
- SEO helps potential clients find you on mobile devices. SEO not only optimizes computer searches but also boosts mobile phone searches as well. For example, someone in an accident or has a
legal issue is likely to use their cell phone to search for a lawyer. Whoever pops up first in the search will be most likely hired.
- SEO provides a high rate of return. It is cost-effective. You do not have to spend much money for SEO to be advantageous. SEO generates more leads than other marketing methods, is more sustainable, and allows you to create a trustworthy brand for your law firm.
Limits of Traditional Marketing
Traditional marketing methods, including newspaper advertisements, television commercials, radio advertisements, direct mail, referral networks, and organization memberships, definitely generate leads and increase business, but that might not be enough in today’s digital marketplace.
Some limitations of traditional marketing include the following:
- Difficult to collect data on whether traditional marketing is working or not.
- Traditional marketing is more expensive than SEO. SEO is cost-effective.
- Traditional marketing may only show short-term results.
- Direct mail is often not allowed.
Benefits of SEO Marketing
SEO is a beneficial marketing tool for law firms. Some benefits include the following:
- The ability to connect with all kinds of potential clients.
- The power to target specialized services to a specific clientele.
- Your firm can be a top choice for certain client groups.
- SEO provides a greater return on investment than traditional ways of marketing.
- Mobile users can quickly find your offices, thus increasing potential clients.
Improving Your Law Firm’s SEO
SEO is important to the success and growth of any business, including law firms. Integrating the following SEO best practices into your marketing strategy may help to improve your law firm’s SEO. Try the following practices:
Use Specific Keywords
You will first want to research the terms you should use to target specific clients. Include those keywords and variations along with the location targeted, and you will reach more potential customers. You will increase the chances that someone looking for a firm like yours will find you.
You must be strategic with your keywords.
Keyword stuffing or overusing keywords does not help. It is better to spread keywords across many pages. Creating different landing pages for different sets of keywords may be helpful and can also allow you to highlight your different practice areas.
Provide Informative and Creative Content
When a website provides informative and useful content, Google will reward the website with higher rankings. Successful law firms and businesses must consistently post relevant, practical content. Blogs are a fantastic way to engage potential clients with reliable, informational, and helpful content.
Provide a Positive User Experience
Google will rank your website higher if visitors stay on the site longer or frequently visit the site. Creating a positive user experience will keep visitors engaging and connecting with your site. Visitors will leave when pages load slowly, or there are too many clicks to get to the good stuff.
Poor web design and irrelevant content will force visitors to abandon your site and look for a better one. Creating a well-designed, easy-to-use website will increase your rankings with Google and draw users and potential clients to your site.
Include Relevant Links
Internal and external links allow users to easily move between topics on your website and provide you with the ability to support your content with reliable external sources. Citing sources will increase your trustworthiness and rankings and inevitably grow your business.
Digital Marketing Next Steps
The importance of SEO is undeniable. It is a surefire way to increase potential client traffic to your website, build trust regarding your law firm, help to establish your brand, and ultimately lead to increased revenue. SEO plays a vital part in a successful marketing plan. If you have not had the chance to start your digital marketing strategy that incorporates SEO for 2023, the best time to start is now! Happy New Year!
Annette Choti, Esq. graduated from law school 20 years ago, and is the Founder of Law Quill, a legal digital marketing agency focused on small and solo law firms. Annette wrote the bestselling book Click Magnet: The Ultimate Digital Marketing Guide For Law Firms, and hosts the podcast Legal Marketing Lounge. She is a sought-after keynote and CLE speaker throughout the United States and Canada. Annette used to do theatre and professional comedy, which is not so different from the legal field if we are all being honest. Annette can be found on LinkedIn or at at email@example.com.